Monday, November 14, 2011

A Solution for Inequality

With different backgrounds, different educations, and different personalities- inequality within classrooms is inevitable. What makes an educator successful in the eyes of employees is very much different than the reality of a truly qualified educator. Teachers should be equipped not only with good credentials, but with a love of students and a passion for equipping them with the right characteristics to succeed. Some schools have caught on, and as a result, higher qualified educators- yet some schools have not. Maybe it’s a result of a lack of budget. Maybe it’s a result of poor employers. Either way, inequality is an aspect o education that has been present from the start.
But how, in a drowning education system, can we fix the inequality in schools that the lack of these types of educators?  
Some believe that online classes will assist in the elimination of the inequality in schools. I say no. If the problem in our nation’s schools are the educators themselves, then designing a new type of education style for our poor educators to use will simply add water to the millions of gallons of water that our system is drowning in. If an educator can not meet state standards within the classroom- how are they supposed to meet them in an online setting? Our nation’s greatest need is for highly qualified educators with more than a GPA to prove their worth. To attract the right kind of people that would get the job done would require a greater average income for teachers. It seems as though our nation admires professional athletes astronomically more than those who mold the minds of future political leaders and world-changers, as a teachers salary is less than one tenth of those ho entertain us on Sundays. 
To eliminate inequality in schools our nation’s greatest need is to re-prioritize. 

4 comments:

  1. Prioritize is a huge word that the eduaction system needs to understand. I love the twist you put on this idea of inequailty in school and brought it to the bigger picture. That is are problem that we have educators that meet the standards but are not truly quilfied. What a problem in our society that we are looking for the good scores not the people themselves. If we in America could only learn how to find people that want to truly teach and mold the next generation, not just earn a salary. Then we will know how to deal with inequality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsay you make an excellent point. To say Technology will eliminate inequality is a very radical statement and we need to look and see what the root is of this problem. And teachers who are not qualified are certainly one of them. Sometimes I think people want a solution so badly they are willing to think one thing, like technology, can fix everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is Karly Heitzmann
    I totally agree, Linds. Organization of an online classroom is definitely even more to manage than a regular classroom, and if we are already failing at that, then how can we expect to succeed in such a different way of doing things?

    However, I'm not really sure if that eliminates the possibility for it helping with the issue of inequality. While online teaching may not be ideal, it could help in decreasing the inequality problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your thoughts on this issue.I'm not sure how I feel about technology decreasing inequality.I think it depends on the schools, the teachers and the students.

    ReplyDelete